Monday, July 15, 2013

Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins

Pin It Now!
Pin It
I have read a lot baked doughnuts recipes and I thought baked doughnuts must only baked in ring pans :D I don't feel like buying the special pan just for making doughnuts. That's the reason holding me from trying. 

Doughnuts muffin, theme for this time Bake Along telling me doughnuts can be baked into muffin shape too! Without much hesitating I baked and find out how baked doughnuts taste like. 

This recipe has thicker batter however it is still easy to fill into muffin moulds. I choose the smallest muffin mould I can find in my pantry and end up using tart moulds :D I love their muffin-y looks with a nice round curve in the center. The texture is more on muffin, cake-y and not like those fried doughnuts. My kids love them just the way they are. For me, I still prefer the fried one :D


Adapted with minor modification from Lena,Frozen Wings
Recipe from the book, Back in the Day Bakery
makes 12 muffins
Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins
Ingredients:
~Doughnut muffins
(A)
56g unsalted butter, softened
60g sugar (reduced to 50g)
1 large egg (medium size egg)

(B)
187g all-purpose flour (replaced with cake flour)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1¼ baking powder
¼ fine salt

(C)
1 tablespoon buttermilk (omit)
110ml whole milk/full cream milk (increase to 130ml)

~For doughnut coating
56g unsalted butter, melted (used 45g)
½ cup sugar mixed with ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon (used ¼ cup icing sugar+3 tablespoons castor sugar with ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon)

Methods:
1. Grease and flour the muffin pans (if using) or place liner into muffin/tart moulds.

2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and the buttermilk or yogurt (if using).

3. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with handheld mixer on medium speed until mixture lighter in colour. Add the egg, beating until just combined. Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, flour, milk and flour mixing just until smooth. Do not over mix.

4. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray/liners, filling about 80% full. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for about 20-25 minutes, until the top is firm and lightly golden. Let the doughnut cool completely on a wire rack before coating. 

5. Prepare the melted butter in one bowl and the cinnamon sugar in another bowl. Dunk each doughnut muffin in the melted butter, then coat with cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!
I am submitting this to Bake-Along hosted by Joyce of Kitchen FlavoursLena of Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids





8 comments:

  1. Hi Viv,

    My husband and son told me the same too that these are not donuts! They said that mine are sugared cake balls...

    I have tried baking them in standard muffin pan before and reckon that they are moister being bigger.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, you bakke it so well and present it so well too..nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a thick batter and thought it was my mistake. Yours are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian,
    So clever of your to bake in small tart moulds! They looks very cute! These are great but like you I prefer the fried doughnuts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian,
    You did great! Lovely pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really good idea of using the mini tart moulds! No reason to not try this now hehe. your zebra cake looks beautiful btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, fried doughnuts are fluffier! you managed to bake them so golden, they look wonderful! thanks vivian for baking along!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...