Friday, April 12, 2013

Ayam Percik (Grilled Chicken) -MFF Kelantan

Pin It Now!
Pin It
I have been eyeing on Ayam Percik recipe for quite long. Ever since I saw Ayam Percik of Lena aka Frozen Wings during MFF Terengganu I knew I going to cook. But at last I can't make it. So this time not going to miss Kelantan version of Ayam Percik :D

Whenever I visit my MIL in Seremban I will buy Ayam Percik from AYAMAS (no branch in Kuching). Love the spices on the grilled chicken. However during my last visit I found that the quality of their chicken is not as good as few years back. The chicken meat is dry and not so fragrant. 

Since I love Ayam Percik I should cook it and eat anytime I want. After looking at Kelly Siew Kelantan version Ayam Percik, I notice that it is easy and less preparation compare to Terengganu version. Without much delay I gather the ingredients and cook it for my family lunch. Wow! The coconut milk and spices used indeed make this grilled chicken very flavourful! My hubby and myself enjoy it very much! How I wish my kids can have it too (they can't take any heat :D). I shall try out Terengganu version one day. And no more take away from AYAMAS in future :D

Serve Ayam Percik with rice, fragrant coconut gravy from grilled chicken and coriander as salad by the side. Since the heat is mild, 'Siok' with added chili padi in the gravy. Can’t wait to cook again!

Adapted and slightly modified from Kelly Siew Cooks
Ayam Percik Kelantan
Ingredients:
(A)
2 chicken maryland (thighs with drumsticks)
200ml coconut milk
3 cardamoms
3 cloves
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised

1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon potato starch mixed with water(omit)

(B) Spice paste
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb sized ginger
3 shallots
3-4 dried chili, soaked and drained
1 stalk lemongrass
½ cup water


Methods:
1. Preparing spice paste by adding ingredients (B) into blender. Grind till fine paste. Adding into wok/pot together with chicken maryland and marinate for at least ½ hour.
*Using the same wok/pot for marinating and cooking as well. Less cleaning :P

2. Pour half the coconut milk over marinated chicken. Add cardamom, cloves and lemongrass. Cook over medium heat until chicken is partly cooked, about 20 minutes. Season with tamarind paste, salt, pepper and sugar halfway through.

3. Remove the chicken, reserving the coconut milk gravy in the wok/pot. Discard the cardamom and cloves from the gravy. Add the rest of coconut milk and the potato starch mix (if using). Simmer until thick. Taste for seasoning. Turn off the heat and leave aside.

4. Place the chicken (skin facing up) on lined baking tray. Ladle 2-3 spoons of gravy on chicken. Cook under oven grill (broiler) at medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Again ladle gravy on chicken and continue grill till chicken is golden brown and cooked well. Serve!


I am submitting this post to 
~Malaysian Food Fest, Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My KitchenSnippets


16 comments:

  1. Hi, your ayam percik looks delicious! Very evenly grilled, love the colour and specks of charred bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, that chicken leg looks so beautifully grilled! I am so hungry now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vivian for your support. You can try out my ayam percik version as it is the non spicy one. I am sure your kids will like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viv,
    I love ayam percik too. Yes the Terengganu ones are slightly different from the Kelantan ones.
    Yours is nicely grilled and beautifully serve :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so tasty, Vivian! I love the use of coconut milk and lemongrass and the color and texture looks amazing... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 哇,你家的aym percik 好香哦!!!
    谢谢分享!
    在我煮给家人享用之前,先向你拿块来吃,嘻。。。。

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this week. I love the color and texture on the outside of this chicken. Wow--it looks so good! Thanks, Vivian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted to let you know that your chicken is one of the links I chose to be featured when See Ya in the Gumbo goes live this evening!

      Delete
  9. Hi Vivian,
    Your ayam percik is mouth-watering! I could eat two big pieces just for my dinner! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, I haven't had any rice today. Now, you're making hungry lol. :o)
    Have a great week ahead.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty presentation! It's very flavourful isn't it? Thanks for linking back to my blog too. The leftover gravy was very nice with some fried noodles. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jong belegen kaasSunday, 13 April, 2014

    such a salivating drumstick dish,thanks for sharing yummy food...well made

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a tasty and full of flavour dish.. I followed exactly the recipe and it turned out even better than Ayamas, honestly.. Im loving this new recipe.. I tried another Ayam Percik recipe before and it was no where near to this one.. Thank you so much for sharing.. 😘👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried this recipe and its really better than Ayamas cause the chicken is so tender and all the flavours are well blended inside the chicken.. The guests at my house were amazed that I can make such excellent recipe, thanks for sharing.. Its really delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I can show you guys the picture 😊

      Delete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...